Senior Associate – Financial Communications (New York)
Sloane & Company is seeking a high energy, intellectually curious, team-oriented and self-directed Senior Associate with at least 3-4 years of relevant experience to be based in our New York office.
This role will support and help grow interesting and challenging accounts focused on corporate communications, corporate reputation, brand building and crisis/issues management across a variety of industries, with a specific need for interest and experience in both traditional and alternative asset management, including mutual funds and private equity. The candidate should have a solid understanding of how to develop and execute integrated communications programs as well as deep media relations experience and reporter relationships in the asset management space. The ideal candidate must possess strong account management capabilities and superior client relations, presentation, and oral and written communications skills.
We are seeking someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to work as a part of a team, who will be expected to provide counsel, strategy and support for asset management and financial services clients. Working closely with staff at all levels, the right candidate must be a relationship builder and dedicated team player as well as exhibit strong working knowledge of overall communication strategies and tactics.
Below is a broad overview of this role’s responsibilities
- Client Communications & Account Management
- Help companies in asset management and financial services better tell their corporate story to key audiences across channels
- Experience serving as a day-to-day client contact and managing multiple client accounts, including a substantial amount of both retainer and project engagements
- Comfort engaging directly with portfolio managers, economists and senior executives at clients to develop storylines and thought-leadership strategies
- Provide strategic counsel, tactical recommendations and media training support to clients
- Support internal account team’s work and manage development of administrative deliverables such as media coverage reports, trackers, agendas and media lists
- Media Relations
- Demonstrate interest and knowledge of the asset management and financial services industries in which your clients operate and the related trends driving the news cycle
- Possess strong existing media relationships with reporters and editors covering the financial services industry
- Experience building and managing journalist relationships and proactively engaging with key national, trade and broadcast media by developing highly customized pitches to drive results
- Writing & Materials Development
- Possess strong writing skills with the ability to develop high-quality first drafts of client deliverables including press releases, key messages, talking points, op-eds, plans, presentations, briefing materials and other critical communications and investor materials
- Interest in supporting crisis communications, M&A, investor relations and private equity portfolio company communications materials development
- Oversee and support aspects of clients’ social media and digital campaigns including content calendar development and execution
- Approximately 3-4 years of public relations experience, with some prior experience in asset management, private equity or financial services communications required.
- Demonstrated media relations skills and existing media relationships.
- Energetic self-starter and resourceful problem solver who keeps things moving and on track.
- High attention to detail and strong project management skills.
- Strong writing, editing and research skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize work under pressure.
Who we are:
We’re an industry-leading public relations firm focused on providing a select set of services at a high level for our clients. We are known for our intelligence, intensity, creativity and focus on getting results. Whether the situation calls for developing and delivering the right messages to the audiences that matter or advising on high-stakes deals or crises, our goal is the same — to drive winning outcomes for our clients.
If you excel in an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment and want to build your career working on interesting assignments for clients that run the gamut from well-known, Fortune 500-type companies to startups and industry associations then Sloane & Company may be an ideal place for you. Because we don’t subscribe to a rigid organizational hierarchy typically found at most agencies – everyone here rolls up their sleeves and gets involved in day-to-day account work – we’ve created a culture where all professionals have the ability to thrive because they are empowered to take on new responsibilities, think creatively, and share their ideas in an environment where their viewpoints matter.
We’re an exciting and growing place to build your career, hold yourself to a high standard and continuously improve as a professional. We’re looking for kind, caring, conscientious and dedicated people who want to be a part of our growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to fostering an inclusive culture that reflects a multitude of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.