President, Special Situations
Dan Zacchei is President, Special Situations based in New York and has been at Sloane & Company since 2008. He advises a range of clients on media and investor communications strategies around special situations, shareholder activism, M&A, restructurings, litigation, crisis and issues management and ongoing reputational positioning.
Recent engagements and representations of note include:
- Aetna and CVS in their $69 billion merger and subsequent integration.
- New York Life in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Cigna’s Group Insurance business.
- eBay in its $4 billion sale of StubHub.
- PG&E’s equity shareholders in the Company’s restructuring.
- Issuers and investors in more than 200 activist shareholder situations including:
- eBay in its engagement with Elliott Management and Starboard Value
- D. E. Shaw in its engagements with Emerson Electric, Lowe’s, EQT and Bunge
- OncoSec Immunotherapies in its proxy contest defense against Alpha Holdings
- Voce Capital in its proxy contest against Argo Group International
- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in its proxy contest defense against JFL Capital
- HomeStreet Bank in its proxy contest defense against Roaring Blue Lion Capital in both 2019 and 2018
- Luby’s Inc. in its proxy contest defense against Bandera Partners
- Land and Buildings in multiple proxy contests against Taubman Centers, and activist situations against Hudson’s Bay and Brookdale
- Private equity firm Waterton Global Resource Management in its proxy contest against Hudbay Minerals Inc.
- M&G Investments in its proxy contest against Methanex
- Elliott Management in numerous U.S. activism campaigns
- Companies and boards in dozens of confidential activist preparedness assignments
- AmerisourceBergen around opioid-related issues and litigation
- Puerto Rico’s $72 billion restructuring.
- The Vitamin Shoppe in its sale to Liberty Tax Inc.
- Detroit’s Chapter 9 bankruptcy (representing Financial Guaranty Insurance Company, the largest single creditor)
Prior to joining Sloane & Company, Dan was with Ruder Finn, where he worked in the Corporate Advisory group on crises and special situations. Dan graduated from the College of the Holy Cross Cum Laude, with a B.A. in History.