Senior Vice President
Joe Germani is a Senior Vice President at Sloane & Company in New York. He counsels clients on special situations and high-stakes issues at the nexus of the capital markets and public policy. Joe has experience across a variety of contested situations – including shareholder activism, M&A, litigation and restructuring – as well as corporate crisis, issues management programs and public affairs campaigns.
Recent and ongoing engagements of note include:
- Aetna in their proposed $69 billion merger with CVS Health.
- Exelon Corporation in national and state-level regulatory and advocacy campaigns.
- Investors and issuers in dozens of activist shareholder situations including:
- HomeStreet Bank in their successful defense against Blue Lion Capital.
- Sidus Investment Management and BLR Partners in their successful proxy contest at Acacia Research Corporation.
- Keweenaw Land in their proxy fight defense against Cornwall Capital.
- Long-time investor Richmond Brothers in their successful proxy fight against Rockwell Medical.
- Surge Components in their defense against, and eventual settlement with, investors Bradley Rexroad and Michael Tofias.
- Aristeia Capital in their first-time activist engagement with Sina Corporation.
- D. E. Shaw in their activist situation around the EQT and Rice Energy deal.
- Sandell Asset Management in proxy campaigns against Barnes & Noble, Bob Evans Farms, Viavi, Brookdale, and Ethan Allen.
- Land and Buildings in activist campaigns against Hudson’s Bay, Taubman Centers, Brookdale, and Felcor.
- Enzo Biochem in their successful defense against Lone Star Value.
- Senomyx in their successful defense against a group of activist shareholders seeking full Board control.
- Long-term investor venBio in their successful proxy campaign against Immunomedics.
- Elliott Management in numerous U.S. activism campaigns.
- Companies and Boards in confidential activist and crisis preparedness assignments.
- The largest North American artificial turf manufacturer, through a series of investigative stories and through ongoing class action litigation and federal and state regulatory challenges.
- Franklin Advisors, OppenheimerFunds, the PREPA Bondholder Group and other major creditors in Puerto Rico’s ongoing restructuring.
- The Edison Electric Institute in strategic media relations and advocacy efforts.
Prior to joining Sloane & Company, Joe was with Brunswick Group, a strategic communications firm, where he worked on cross-border M&A, activist investor defense and crisis management assignments.
Joe graduated from Georgetown University with a B.S. in Foreign Service and earned an M.A. in European History from New York University.