Managing Director, Special Situations
Joe Germani is Managing Director, Special Situations and has been at Sloane & Company since 2014. He counsels clients on special situations and high-stakes issues at the nexus of the capital markets and public policy. Joe has experience across a variety of contested situations – including M&A, shareholder activism, litigation and restructuring – as well as corporate crisis, issues management and public affairs campaigns.
Recent engagements and representations of note include:
- New York Life in its $6.3 billion acquisition of Cigna’s Group Insurance business
- The Vitamin Shoppe in its $208 million merger with Franchise Group (formerly Liberty Tax)
- eBay in its $4 billion sale of StubHub
- Aetna in its $69 billion merger with CVS Health
- Investors and issuers in more than 150 shareholder activism matters including:
- Harbert Discovery Fund in its proxy contest at Enzo Biochem
- OncoSec Immunotherapies in its proxy contest defense against Alpha Holdings
- Firefly Value Partners in its engagement with Gulfport Energy Corporation
- Caligan Partners in its proxy contest at AMAG Pharmaceuticals
- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals in its proxy contest defense against JFL Management
- Velan Capital in its proxy contest at Progenics Pharmaceuticals
- Legion Partners Holdings, Macellum Advisors, and Ancora Advisors in their proxy contest at Bed Bath & Beyond
- Fir Tree Partners in its engagement with Kyushu Railway Company
- M&G Investments in its engagement with Methanex
- Luby’s Inc. in its proxy contest defense against Bandera Partners
- HomeStreet Bank in its two proxy contest defenses against Blue Lion Capital
- SQN Investors in its engagement with Yelp, Inc.
- Waterton Global Holdings in its activist situation with Hudbay Minerals
- Long-time investor Richmond Brothers in its proxy contest against Rockwell Medical
- Elliott Management in numerous U.S. activism campaigns
- Companies and Boards in confidential activist preparedness assignments
- The largest North American artificial turf manufacturer, through a series of investigative stories and ongoing litigation and federal and state regulatory challenges
- The Edison Electric Institute in strategic media relations and advocacy efforts
Prior to joining Sloane & Company, Joe was with Brunswick Group, a strategic communications firm, where he worked on cross-border M&A, activist investor defense and crisis management assignments.
Joe graduated from Georgetown University with a B.S. in Foreign Service and earned an M.A. in European History from New York University.